- (0:02) The Rock Quarry / Sanders Quarry; East Empire Mill Road, Bloomington (Note: This Is Private Property So If You Go You Risk Being Arrested)
- (0:04) Dave Stoller Riding His Bike Home While Singing In Italian When Nancy Yells To Him / He Is Riding North On S. Lincoln Street As He Passes E. Driscoll Street, Bloomington
- (0:05) The Church He Passes / Free Methodist Church; 1121 S. Lincoln Street, Bloomington
- (0:09) Moocher's House / Roughly 170 E. 7th Street, Bloomington (Note: This House Has Been Torn Down)
- (0:10) Campus Cars / 1010 S. Walnut Street, Bloomington (Note: The Car Lot Is No Longer There As It Has Been Replaced By A Couple Of Buildings)
- (0:14) The Cutters Driving By The Tennis Courts On Campus / They Are Driving South On N. Fee Lane Just South Of N. Jordan Avenue, Bloomington
- (0:15) The Cutters Running Over The Frisbee With Their Car / Musical Arts Center; 101 N. Jordan Avenue, Bloomington
- (0:15) Sitting On A Hill Watching IU Practice Football / Memorial Stadium; 701 E. 17th Street, Bloomington
- (0:17) Dave Seeing His Dream Woman Coming Out Of A Building And Dropping Her Book As She Leaves On Her Moped / Franklin Hall; 601 E. Kirkwood Avenue, Bloomington (Note: There Is No Longer A Street In Front Of The Building)
- (0:18) As He Is Following Her To Give Her The Book They Turn Right And You See A Greenhouse / 1001 E. 3rd Street, Bloomington
- (0:19) Dave Finally Catches Her / Delta Delta Delta; 818 E. 3rd Street, Bloomington
- (0:20) Dave Riding Alone In The Woods When His Tire Blows / Rumored To Be West Gate Entrance Road, Brown County State Park, Nashville
- (0:23) Dave's House / 756 S. Lincoln Street, Bloomington
- (0:23) Dave Kissing The Mail Man / 680 S. Lincoln Street, Bloomington (Note: This Is An Estimated Address But It Is Two Houses North Of E. Wylie Street On The West Side Of The Road)
- (0:25) Dave Drafts Behind The Semi Truck Yo Get Up To 60 Miles An Hour / He First Enters The Highway From Pine Blvd, Martinsville. He Then Travels North On Hwy 37 To Martinsville (Note: The Bloomington 50 Miles Sign Is Fake)
- (0:29) Campus Street Car Wash / Roughly 375 S. Walnut Street, Bloomington (Note: This Place Is No Longer There So I Am Guessing On The Address)
- (0:31) Cyril Jogging While Talking To A Riding Dave / Still Searching For This Location
- (0:32) The Cutters Standing Outside A Pizza Place When Mike's Brother Comes Up To Warn Them About Hot-Roding / Opie Taylor's; 110 N. Walnut Street, Bloomington
- (0:35) Dave Serenades Katherine / Delta Delta Delta; 818 E. 3rd Street, Bloomington
- (0:38) The Cutters Talking About Getting Revenge For Cyril Getting Beat Up With The Railroad Tracks Behind Them As They Walk / They Are Walking East On W. 7th Street, Heading Toward The N. Rogers Street Intersection, Bloomington (Note: The Railroad Track Is Gone And It Is Now A Biking Trail)
- (0:39) Mike Finding The Blue Mercedes On Campus / Going West On E. 7th Street With The Auditorium In The Background And The Cars Meet In Front Of Woodburn Hall At 1100 E. 7th Street, Bloomington
- (0:42) The Bowling Alley / IU Memorial Union Building; 900 E. 7th Street, Bloomington
- (0:43) The Fight In The Student Union Dining Area / IU Memorial Union Building; 900 E. 7th Street, Bloomington
- (0:50) Moocher And Nancy Get Their Marriage License / Monroe County Courthouse; W. 7th Street And N. Walnut Street, Bloomington (Note: They Enter On The Kirkwood Avenue Side)
- (0:51) Dave Runs The Red Light On His Bike / He Is Going South On College Avenue Passing The 5th Street Intersection, Bloomington
- (0:53) The Factory / Roughly 2280 W. Tapp Road, Bloomington (Note: This Building Has Since Deteriorated A Lot And Is Pretty Much Unrecognizable)
- (0:55) Ray And Evelyn Walking And Discussing Their Son's Working Future / While Walking They Pass By Nick's English Hut Tavern; 423 E. Kirkwood Avenue, Bloomington
- (1:00) The Cinzano Bike Race Start Line / Roughly E. 3rd Street And S. Park Ridge Road, Bloomington (Note: This Is Also Hwy 46)
- (1:00) Making A Quick Right Hand Turn In The Race / Hwy 446 From Hwy 46, Bloomington
- (1:02) The Racers Crossing The Railroad Tracks And Almost Hit The Dog / Going South On Indiana 58 Where It Meets Elm Street, Heltonville
- (1:04) The Italians Messing With Dave's Gears / Still Searching For This Location
- (1:05) Dave Catching Up With The Italians Again / They Are Going By the Cabin Restaurant; 4015 S. SR 446, Bloomington
- (1:05) The Italian Puts The Stick Into Dave's Spokes And Wrecks Him / Still Searching For This Location
- (1:08) The Place Where Dave Tells Katherine He Is Really Not Italian / Rose Well House; Little South Of The Student Union And A Little West Of Wylie Hall A Little Bit Into The Woods, Bloomington
- (1:12) Dave And His Father Discussing About Being A Cutter While They Sit On A Bench / Herman B Wells Library, 1320 E. 10th Street, Bloomington
- (1:16) Where The Little 500 Race Was Held / Roughly 1310 E. 10th Street, Bloomington (Note: Sadly, The Track Is No Longer There And Is Now The Arboretum. The Building Seen To The East Of The Track Is The Herman B. Wells Library)
- (1:38) The Female Student Asking Dave Where The Bursar's Office Is / In Front Of The Memorial Student Union; 900 E. 7th Street, Bloomington
Labels: Bloomington, Heltonville, Martinsville, Nashville
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Chas- Hello! I can help you with some of the locations you are still searching for listed above for Breaking Away. I lived in Bloomington then (still do) and was a college student. The catering company I worked for catered most of the on location meals for the cast and crew. I just read the Herald-Times article on you today (Bloomington's paper). Next time I'm out driving around, I can get back to you with exact addresses...but for now, I'll give u a brief recollection from my memory:ReplyDelete
"Moocher's House"...this house (at least the backyard scene when Nancy comes to visit) is located on E. 7th Street...between the corners of Washington St & Walnut Street. I will have to double check the house number. There were only two houses on this particular block at the time. The rest were businesses. One of the houses was torn down (now is "Butch's Delicatessa). I'll look and see if Mooche's house still is the one standing. The interior scenes MAY or may NOT have been filmed in that same house. I'm not sure of that.
"Dave Kissing the Mailman"...this was at a house just a few blocks up from Dave's house (on S. Lincoln, on the same side of the street. I'll have to get u that house number.
"Cyril Jogging While Dave Riding"...I know where this is at, but I'll have to drive by it to get you the block(s) it was on.
"The Factory"....are u asking about the scene where Dave's Dad visits the limestone factory where he used to work? If so, this is located on Tapp Road...between Rockport Rd & Hwy 37. I do believe it is still standing but abandoned. I can get u more of an exact location soon.
Lastly, "The Female Student Asking Dave Where the Bursar's Office Is"...this was filmed in front of one of the main front entrances of the Indiana Memorial Union, 900 E. 7th Street. Just up that walkway inside is where they filmed the fight scene/bowling alley scene.
Hope this helps. As a side note, I especially remember the filming of the actual race at the end. They had a call out for extras to come out and sit in the stands. They were hoping to fill the stadium (10th St Stadium, since demolished and is now an arboreteum). I'm not sure how many that stadium would have held....but they never could get it filled w/extras. (Maybe a couple hundred came, at best..it would have taken a few 1000 to fill it. Anyway, they had to keep moving the small crowd all the way around the stadium as they filmed race scenes w/crowd shots..to make it appear the stadium was full. ) At the time, no one really thot Breaking Away was gonna be such a big deal. The director wasn't that well known at the time...and the actors at that time were pretty "unknowns"...it wasn't till later that Dennis Quaid become a major star.
Good luck with this...and I'll be back in touch with more specific location info.
Oh, also on a side night...I grew up in Knightstown, Indiana....where some of "Hoosiers" was filmed. My mom spent a day in the bleachers at their home gym as an extra. lol
I believe that the 1:02 crossing of the railroad tracks took place in Clear CreekReplyDelete
The "female asking where the bursar is" scene (1:38)...I forgot to tell u I was taking my lunch brk that day on a grassy hill a few feet behind where they were filming Dave and this girl. When the movie came out...I kept looking for me in the background...but it was either edited out or out of cam range....oh well...my one chance at stardom dashed!!! lol
I have heard that some of the movie may have been filmed on Hwy 446 near Heltonville.ReplyDelete
I tried posting a huge amount of information twice and it disappeared. I'm not doing it again. I am considered the Breaking Away expert by the Bloomington Bicycle Club. I researched the movie frame by frame 3 years ago to prepare for an annual ride I put on for the club and once for the IU Summer Freshman program. Our club is thinking of marketing this for Bloomington Conventioneers.ReplyDelete
I also got a lot of help from: http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/2000/08/breaking-away.html
Feel free to contact me when you come to B-Town.
Thanks. Your remarks and info, was lots of fun. :)ReplyDelete
I was an extra in the movie...thought we were in when us two long hairs were positioned for specific shot in 10th street statium but....alas. Got my W2s from 20th Century Fox that year...working title of Breaking Away...."The Bambino"!!! 3.30 and hour and...lots of fun in my hometown of Bloomington!ReplyDelete
I am almost certain that the scene where Cyril and Dave are walking together is near the Fairview Elementary School. I am not certain which side or street. But if I remember correctly that 'view' is still much the same.ReplyDelete
Also, not that it matters, but there is no period after the B in Herman B Wells Library. That was his actual middle name. Yes, I am a library science student...sorry.
I made a pilgrimage to Bloomington in 2009 and visited almost all of these spots. It took a long time (and several requests of locals) to find the quarry, but we made it and have the photos to prove it. I've seen the movie more than 100 times and know it by heart (I'm a college professor and have used the movie in my classes since 1985). It was a treat to visit all of these locations. The info on this site sure would have been helpful then!ReplyDelete
I grew up in Bloomington- born there the year this was filmed. My mother's maiden name is Kathy Bennett, same as the lead girl in the movie; and my uncle Bill is the light-haired fellow who flinches from the gunshot that starts the race.ReplyDelete
The scene with Cyril walking by Dave riding was filmed on Hillside DR in front of the old Templeton Elementary looking to the NE. As they continue walking, you can see the neighborhood behind the school that includes my cousin's grandmother's house. They are walking on the north side of the street.ReplyDelete
Templeton was torn down and replaced in the early '90s or late '80s.
I grew up in Bloomington. I went to Fairview Elementary from '80-'86. That view never existed at Fairview. Fairview was also torn down and replaced at least 4-5 years ago.
As an aside, our family attends the Free Methodist Church that Dave rides past. It also looks a little bit different now, but that corner of the building is still pretty much the same.
The scene with Dave riding and Cyril walking is the back of Fairview Elementary! They're walking along 7th Street behind the old school (torn down in 2010). I spent many days at recess on that ground in the early 1960s and remember the back of the building well. I can even pick out my first-grade classroom with Mrs. Beryl!Delete
Sorry, Jan. That's not correct. In order for them to be walking in front of Fairview the scene behind them would include a large open field, playground, then school building. As they walked, they would pass by a baseball field between them and the school before coming to a stone wall with the upper playground beyond it. The view of the school would also change from limestone structure to the remaining older red brick part of the building with the tall chimney and big metal tube fire escape. This part of the school would remain in the picture until they got to the end of the block at Fairview Drive if it was visible over the head high wall along 7th ST.ReplyDelete
In this scene, as they are walking they pass a group of mailboxes which were for the trailer park that was across Hillside from Templeton. They also pass by the entrance to the school. We also see the neighborhood in the background once they pass the school. This would not be possible at Fairview as the school went all the way to Fairview Drive and the red brick entrance looked very different facing 7th ST. Also, you could not see the houses along 8th ST without going at least half way up Fairview Drive.
The only way that you would see the limestone section of Fairview for the entire block would have been if walking downhill along 8th ST. There was no fence and the school would have been right behind the actors. The entrances on that side of the building would also look very different.
Almost all of the Bloomington elementary schools looked like that in the late 70s and early 80s. They all had the same windows and same limestone facade.
The scene with Dave riding and cyril walking is on Hillside by the old Templeton Elementary school. I know because not only did I go there, but my mother and myself were standing behind the camera when they were filming.ReplyDelete
You are exactly right about that, it was Templeton on East Hillside Dr. I used to play on their playground as a kid.Delete
great site, but a disappointing amount of present day comparison pics.But a great site none the lessReplyDelete
The Bloomington 50 road sign may be a prop, but it lives in my garage.ReplyDelete
that is awesome....what are the dimensions of the sign ?Delete
I read in today's newspaper that Sanders Quarry has been filled in following years of safety concerns.ReplyDelete
Moocher's House - the alley that they'd pick him up is still there. The alley comes onto Walnut St at "The Bluebird" nightclubReplyDelete
Sander's Quarry - a third of it got filled in by Indiana Limestone to deter college studentsReplyDelete
Davey riding in the woods - More likely in Morgan Monroe State Forest eith on Old 37 or Bean Blossom RdReplyDelete
Italians messing with Davey's gears - IN-446 south of Lake Monroe - hill was dynamited out to create canyon wallReplyDelete
Italians put the stick in Davey's fork - Most probably on Knightridge Rd which weaves IN-446 north of Lake MonroeReplyDelete